In 2013 with support of an award by the Heritage Lottery Fund local volunteers came together to begin their first project, researching Storrington’s Old School.
With support from the Storrington and District Museum, Horsham Museum and the Worthing library the community group has blossomed to become a local history group in its own right, providing research, exhibitions and support to other community groups and local schools.
Education is a common thread in all our lives and the 12 month Old School project brought together former pupils, teachers and the community with a successful exhibition and reunions.
Mr Rhoden and children of Storrington school
The Roll of Honour, a focal point for Remembrance on 11 November.
A second award was received from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2014 in support of a project to research Storrington’s Roll of Honour created by local artist Paul Hardy marking the centenary of the Great War.
Unveiled in August 1917, the centre panel (one of three) was unveiled by Miss Petre and her sister Mrs Powell on the Assembly wall of the White Horse Hotel. It holds the names of residents or those closely associated with Storrington who lost their lives in the Great War. Former pupils of the College in Church Street appear on the centre and third panel. Miss Petre and her sister Mrs Powell commissioned Paul Hardy to create the work, two further panels were added before the village “Muster Parade” on 19th July 1919.
The panels are believed to have been taken down after falling into severe disrepair in the 1960’s and were believed to be lost until found by the Horsham Museum in 2013. Sadly, only two of the three original panels survived. Another local artist Dennis Lascelles recreated the missing panel in the likeness of the others from research found, the panels can be viewed at the Storrington and District Museum.
The Roll of Honour was unveiled on 11th November 2014.
In January 2016, work began on the third Heritage Lottery fund award and another Great War project, researching into the lesser known battle of Boars Head. This was a diversionary attack on 30th June 1916, near Richebourg l’Avoue, the day before the Battle of the Somme.
Two of the three Southdowns battalions (11th and 12th Battalions) of the Royal Sussex Regiment (the 13th being held in reserve) were involved in the attack on the German held trenches. Casualties found on the Storrington and surrounding village war memorials relate to the cost and the effect on the lives of many local men and their families. Throughout Sussex the day became known as “The day Sussex died”.
A fourth award received in 2018 reflects on the “legacy of the Great War”. An exhibition was held in November at the Old School, Storrington featuring Storrington’s home front and those that came back.
Another Roll of Honour was found during the project that belonged to the Storrington branch of the Royal British Legion. Created again by Paul Hardy it contains additional names of those that came back after the war but died of wounds.
The local history group welcomes new members to enhance learning and interests in local and family history. We support local schools and were responsible for creating “Poppies on the Pond”, on the Pulborough Road. Each poppy represents a name on the village war memorial. We are grateful to Rydon Community College for their help in the project.
We are delighted to be associated with Mary and Trevor Crabb. Mary is a member of the Basketmakers’ Association and a Yeoman Member of The Worshipful Company of Basketmakers and involved in a Basketry Then and Now project. Further details of Mary’s work can be found at: http://www.marycrabb.co.uk/styled-4/index.html
If you are interested in our village history why not join us and be part of a growing community group.
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org